How to become a great leader?
Yesterday I came across this saying “Great leaders don’t set out to be a leader…they set out to make a difference. It’s never about the role-always about the goal” and I wanted to share it with you.
No matter area of expertise and current position, the most important thing is to see where you can make a difference by taking actions and using personal examples.
Being a leader is a responsibility, because others will follow you. By bringing the best in you, investing in yourself you can change something or achieve something great. You can be a leader in your job, in your personal life or even in your community.
Sometimes, when driven by fears or standards, you can take a wrong way, a way that is not yours, that is blocking your potential, that makes your journey difficult and full of disappointments.
All your talents and actions that could make a difference will be wasted on fighting with the chosen way. But the good news is that all of this can be observed and changed. It’s never too late to do it, the most important thing is that you want to do it. Change it’s not always a comfortable process so a strong will it’s needed.
You don’t have to try to become a great leader, you have to aspire to become a great human being, the focus is not on the role, the focus is on what you will leave behind.
How can you do this?
- Be an observer of your current behaviours – observe what you think, what you do, how you react. When you know that you always have the choice to keep or to change your behavior.
- Invest in your personal development – you always can learn new ways of doing things and create space for new learnings. Being an observer helps a lot in identifying and stopping behaviours that you don’t like. In this way you create space for change. It’s like cleaning your house – in order to have space for new things, you need to get rid of the things you don’t need anymore.
- Stay true to your values – you have those principles that guide you through life, that help you keep your way.
- Acknowledge your qualities and resources and use them to inspire others. You resonate with similarities in others, so you will attract and surround yourself by people with similar vibes.
- Do things with an open heart, with empathy and joy, you will inspire others to join supporting your vision and building together something great.
When a leader is growing, all the things around him will grow too.